Company Information & History

serving Templeton Since 1906

Templeton Telephone Company

The Templeton Telephone Company (TTC) has grown and expanded dramatically since the first lines reached Templeton in 1884. The first telephone recorded in the community was in 1903, and Templeton Telephone Company was incorporated in 1906. The original phone system was a magneto-type system, and a modern single-party dial system was installed in 1970. Since that time, technology has improved rapidly, and TTC has continually upgraded its equipment and services to keep up with the times. The company began installing fiber optic lines 1991, and new switches and other digital equipment have been acquired as necessary. In 1987, TTC installed a cable television system in Templeton, and they acquired the cable television utility in Dedham in 1998.

The company moved into its own building in 1950 after having been previously housed in various businesses in Templeton, and this building has been expanded several times over the years. In 2003 the facility was expanded and completely remodeled to include additional offices and a new boardroom and storage garage. The attractive, modern office holds a prominent place on the north edge of Main Street in Templeton.

In 2016, the company began the multi-year project of installing a completely new fiber optic distribution plant, commonly known as “fiber to the home”. All underground copper lines were replaced in the City of Templeton between 2016 and 2017, and the rural areas in 2019. This state-of-the-art fiber optic system allows TTC to provide high speed internet and telecommunication services to the Templeton area. In 2019, the company rebranded under the “Templeton Telecom” name to more accurately represent the modern telecommunications company that it is.

Templeton Telecom is a strong enterprise that is committed to providing Templeton and the surrounding area with modern telecommunication services at affordable rates. The company is an investor in Aureon (formerly Iowa Network Services), which provides access to the nation's fiber optic backbone. The company has innovatively partnered with other local telecommunications companies, and TTC currently provides all switching services for the Manning Municipal Communications System. TTC is also a strong partner in local economic development efforts, having partnered with the Templeton Area Development Corporation on development of the city's industrial park. TTC has operated a business "Revolving Loan Fund" (RLF) since 1996 and has made over half a million dollars in low-interest loans to local businesses since that time.

Templeton Telecom
115 N. Main Street, PO Box 77
Templeton, IA 51463
Phone (712) 669-3311
Toll Free (888) 669-3311
Fax (712) 669-3312
Website: www.templetontelecom.net
e-mail:temptel@netins.net

In this section: